Your HSA Visa® debit card provides an easy, convenient and secure way to pay for qualified medical expenses. You may use your card as you would any other debit card, directly accessing the funds in your Health Savings Account (HSA). It is just like using an HSA check, as the purchase amounts are automatically deducted from your account.
To pay for qualified healthcare services and medical purchases, simply swipe the card, sign the sales slip or enter your PIN, and go!
Use your HSA Visa debit card to pay for:
- Medical bills
- Doctor visits
- Laboratory fees
- Pharmacy items*
- Bills not covered by insurance, such as vision, dental, chiropractic, acupuncture and psychiatric care expenses
- Co-pays, co-insurance and out-of-network charges
- And more!
* Effective January 1, 2011, over-the-counter medications require a physician’s prescription in order to be an eligible HSA expense. For details, navigate to “HSA Resources > Qualified HSA Expenses.”
The card may be used to pay medical service providers at the point of service, over the phone, online, or by writing your card number on your bill.
You also may reimburse yourself for out-of-pocket qualified medical expenses. Reimbursement may be taken for expenses from prior years, if the HSA was in place when the expense was incurred.
Remember that you may also use your HSA debit card to withdraw funds from ATMs, if you prefer to pay for qualified medical expenses in cash, or you need to reimburse yourself for medical expenses paid out-of-pocket. We do not charge you a fee to use your card at an ATM within the USA. However, ATM transactions may be subject to a surcharge assessed by the terminal owner. The Bank will credit your account up to $10.00 per month, provided you mail in your ATM receipts within 60 days of the original transaction date. (For details about fees relating to international transactions, see our Schedule of Fees.)
Be sure to save your receipts as proof that you used your HSA funds for qualified medical expenses, should you be audited by the IRS.
Activating your Visa HSA card is easy!
- Your Visa debit card must be activated before you can use it.
- To activate it, simply call the toll-free number on the activation sticker on the front of your card, or use the card with your PIN at an ATM.